Monday, May 18, 2009

On Tuesdays the animals get let out of the zoo

I am really loving my school - and the more I hear about other peoples (not allowed to sit down, not allowed to eat, not allowed to play hangman -my run-out-of-work fallback) I am more pleased with where I have ended up. The hours are awesome, start teaching at 10am and never work later than 6pm, but inbetween that I usually have several 1/2hr - 1hr breaks, on Tuesdays and Thursdays I finish about 4pm and on Fridays I don't start until midday. Can't complain. The other teachers are really nice, Sara started the same time as me which is cool and Ryan has been there for 6 months so knows the ropes, very helpful. We also have four Korean teachers, who all teach English too and I really like them (one less so, but she was very nice to me today so I'm hoping I've gone through my initiation with her and she'll be friendly now.. we'll see) On Tuesdays at lunchtime we get to take the kinder kids outside for 15minutes. That's all the fresh air they get in a week of school - I totally took NZ school for granted! But it's fun, we usually play duck duck goose (they have that here too!) and it tires the kids out for the afternoons, love! Here's the cuteness:

Sam, Olivia and Julie
Stephanie:
Abigail cutting some mean shapes:


Olivia and Julie, BFF's


Sean - cutie!

THE WEIRD AND WONDERFUL AT SUWON ECC
-Last Friday was Teacher's Day, where kids bring their teachers presents. Because I am so new I didn't expect any but I was overwhelmed with presents! My most favourite was not the present, but the card from a boy named Brandt - it went a little something like this:
"Ms Sophie. Dear Sophie, thank you for teaching us. I love your mouth. I love you, Love Brandt"
It killed me! I love your mouth?! I can only assume he meant smile?! Very funny. Otherwise I got a whole buncha nice smelling moisturisers, body washes etc - I think they're trying to tell me I smell bad? And a fabulous towel with monkeys on it. Very cute.
-Yesterday a 6-year-old boy sat in my class singing "sexy sexy sexy" for some time - not sure whether he is aware of what it means, because he grins cheekily at everything, and he loves words with 'x's in them. Giggled inwardly though
- I also recently was marking a spelling test were several students misspelt "Counting" - most forgot the "o" - another inward giggle for that one!
- Lots of the kids are getting married, they're all engaged to each other, it's very cute, and so far I have had one marriage proposal, so I asked when we were going to get married and he said "When I am big. When I am 900 and you are zero".. I feel I may be a jilted bride.
-I've had my nose prodded and poked more times than I'd care to count, they are fascinated by its pointiness
-I have also spent a class being called fish teacher because I have big eyes - a rarity here
-A wee girl Cherry is convinced I am having a baby. On the second day she came and rubbed my belly and said "baby?" and I said "no baby" (I wanted to say food baby but I think it would get lost in translation) and then about a week ago, she did it again, and I rubbed her belly and said "baby?" and she said "Noo! No baby, you are a woman!". Bless her wee cottons, I think she's been learning about the birds and the bees at home!



1 comment:

  1. They're very cute...
    =)

    I've never been in Korea, I wish I could go there someday!

    ReplyDelete